Skip to main content

Health and safety frequently asked questions london

“We are a niche solicitors practice specialising in employment. We have been happy to recommend A.I. Safety Management to our clients when they have required advice and assistance with health and safety matters. Our clients have been very happy with the service provided by A.I. Safety.”

Sharma Solicitors, London

Frequently Asked Questions

Why carry out training?

Training is recognised throughout the business world as essential to the success of any enterprise because it helps motivate the workforce, who in turn reward the Company by reducing the risks associated with food poisoning and accidents at work.

Do we legally have to carry out training?

Yes. The Health & Safety at Work etc. Act 1974 made it a legal requirement for an employer to train all staff in Health & Safety. Failure to comply with the requirements for training could result in prosecution of the company.

Do we have to have a written Health and Safety Policy?

Yes, if you have 5 or more employees in the Company.

Do we have to carry out Health and Safety Risk Assessments?

Yes, if you have 5 or more employees. All significant risks should be documented.

What is RIDDOR?

The Reporting of Injuries Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations 1995 require employers to notify the local authority of certain work-related diseases and dangerous occurrences. Accidents that result in an employee being off work for more than 3 days must be notified within 10 days and where employees spend 24 hours in hospital must be notified immediately.

If a visitor, guest or customer goes directly to hospital from your premises then this must be notified to the authority immediately. Notifications can also be made to where additional information is also available.

One of our employees was injured while working at someone else’s premises – who is responsible for reporting the accident?

Under the REPORTING OF INJURIES, DISEASES AND DANGEROUS OCCURRENCES REGULATIONS 1995 (RIDDOR), the duty to notify the enforcing authorities of an accident rests with the ‘responsible person’. In cases where a member of staff suffers a fatal, major or over-three-day injury while working at another firm’s premises, the individual’s employer is still considered to be the responsible persons, and so must report the incident.

If the worker is killed or suffers a major injury, their employer should notify the enforcing authority without delay, and follow this up with a completed accident report form within ten days. When a over-three-day injury has occurred, the employers only need to send in the report form. However, when a self-employed person is working on someone else’s premises and suffers a RIDDOR reportable injury, the person in control of the premises is responsible for reporting the injury.

This is also the case ifa member of the public receives a reportable injury as a result of a work activity. The HSE Adds that the majority of dangerous occurrences are reportable by the person in control of the premises where the incident happened.

What must I do to comply with the Disability Discrimination Act?

You must make ‘reasonable adjustment’ if you cannot offer a disabled person the same service that you would offer anyone else. This may require an audit of your premises accessibility and the services themselves.

Are VDU users entitled to an eye test?

The regulations that cover VDU work are the Health and Safety (Display Screen Equipment) Regulations 1992. It is the employer’s responsibility for providing eyesight tests to the employee. The employee can refuse to have one done, but where the employee does work all day on the computer it is highly advisable to have an eye test.

What is the minimum/maximum temperature in the workplace?

During working hours, the temperature in all workplaces inside buildings must be reasonable. However, the application of the regulation (The Workplace Health, Safety and Welfare Regs 1992) depends on the nature of the workplace. The temperature in workrooms should provide reasonable comfort without the need for special clothing.

A “workroom” means a room where people normally work for more than short periods.

The temperature in workrooms should normally be at least 16 degrees Celsius unless the work involves severe physical effort in which case the temperature should be at least 13 degrees Celsius.

These temperatures may not, however, ensure reasonable comfort, depending on other factors such as air movement and relative humility.